Government figures show people are 4 times more likely to die in a house fire if there is no working smoke alarm. You may know the batteries need changing annually, but did you know it’s best to get a new alarm after 10 years? Fire alarms are a legal requirement in rented residential property, and essential in all homes. Norvetts offer the installation of smoke alarms, heat detectors and Carbon Monoxide detectors. Our electricians can advise you, and work across East Sussex, including Alfriston, Lewes, Eastbourne, Hailsham, and Seaford.
- Ionisation detectors are good for small particles from fast-burning fires e.g. paper or wood.
- Optical detectors work well for large particles from slow-burning or smouldering fires e.g. foam or pvc covered cables.
- Ionisation and optical smoke detectors will each “see” both types of smoke, but be better at one kind.
- Heat alarms detect a rise in temperature, but not smoke, so they are good in kitchens.
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors alert you to the lethal gas and are essential where you have boilers or stoves.
- Mains powered fire alarm systems with battery back-up are good for your peace of mind.
- Combined alarms are available. Some can be swapped or added.
- Fire alarms can be combined with intruder alarms.
- Emergency lights can also help in a power cut, gently lighting steps for a few hours for instance.
- Some smoke detectors have integral emergency lights.
If you have any questions, or would like some advice about domestic fire alarms, please get in contact with us. We work around East Sussex, including Alfriston, Lewes, Eastbourne, Hailsham and Seaford. We also install fire detection for landlords, and in commercial premises.